Wednesday, August 29, 2007



Currently reading a dreadful slog thru the Beatles' lives, written by some darned Yank named Bob Spitz. WHY can't someone from the UK write a looong, well researched, unbiased book about John,Paul, George and Ringo? Too much to ask I reckon. And then there's Rebus. Just started Ian Rankin's mildly gruesome detective stories based in Edinburgh around a forlorn, curmudgeonly fellar named John Rebus. The first book 'Knots and Crosses' was the first one in a long time I couldn't put down. It was SO clever and so suspenseful that I have GREAT hope for the rest of the series. What enhances the reading is having been to Edinburgh, AND having seen the BBC miniseries on dvd from Netflix. I've got a mental picture of Rebus as he goes thru all his difficulties. "There's another side to Edinburgh. One the tourists never see..."
To back peddle a second, one of my favourite lines from the Beatles book so far is from a poem John Lennon wrote in school; "I sail the earth in yachts made of paper." Makes for a nice mental image.

On a final and fun note, http://costumeideazone.com/index.htm
has tons of great and awful halloweenie idears.

No comments: